Spaghetti squash, which gets its name from its long, stringy fibres, is cooked up with Parmesan and Tomatoes in this light, yet hearty dish.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Olive oil to cover the bottom of a large sauté pan
- ¼ onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- Freshly grated parmesan, asiago, romano, pecorino or whatever cheese
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the oven or microwave.
- While squash is cooking, sauté onion and garlic until translucent, then add pepper and tomato and continue to sauté. Set aside.
- When squash is done and can be easily handled, cut squash in half, discard seeds and remove squash and place in pan with other ingredients. Sauté all together, adding the salt, pepper and oregano.
- May be served now, topped with the grated cheese, or moved to a casserole, topped with cheese and baked until ready to serve.