Butternut Squash Soup with Cranberry Puree
Savory, sweet and tart, this soup will impress your guests and highlights the fall season bounty.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/8 tsp. mace
- 1-1/2 tsp. fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ lb. butternut squash, peeled, chopped into one inch cubes
- ½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped into one inch cubes
- 3 pints chicken broth
- ½ package fresh cranberries
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 oz. port wine
Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onion and carrot until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook 20 to 30 minutes or until squash
and potatoes are fork tender. Purée in blender.
To serve, ladle soup in bowl and top with cranberry purée (see recipe below).
In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, port wine and syrup. Simmer over
medium heat for 10 minutes, until cranberries burst and mixture starts to thicken.
Remove from heat, cool slightly and purée in blender. Place purée back in pot and
keep warm until you serve.
Serves 6 to 8
Cooking with Janie, Kitchen Barn