Cold soup: Cold soup for the summer
Cold soup is the main variety and properties of the summer. Top six best recipes with different ingredients.
Cold soup is a seasonal first course and is usually prepared in the warmer months. It plays 2 main roles: renews the individual’s energy supply and refreshes itself in the heat. It can be cooked on breadcrumbs, vegetables, fruits, or berry broth, on kefir, as well as on meat and fish stock. The dish is low in calories but at the same time contains many vitamins and minerals; it has a refreshing taste and a pleasant aroma. Furthermore, its details how to cook cold soup at home so that it is healthy and tasty, and completely quenches thirst in the summer heat.
Table of Contents
Properties of making cold soup for the summer
Recipes for cold soup can be found in cookbooks around the world. In Bulgaria – Tarator. The liquid basis for this dish is sour milk or unsweetened yogurt. The main ingredient is finely chopped or grated fresh cucumber and herbs. Sometimes, instead of buttermilk, water is acidified with vinegar added.
It is a cold store in Ukraine. This is cool borscht, which is prepared on the basis of beets or sorrel broth. In modern cookbooks, kefir is also indicated as a liquid base. The main ingredients are of course beets and fresh vegetables. Beets can be boiled or pickled. Unlike okroshka, there are no meat ingredients in this dish.
In Russia – okroshka. This is the most famous and popular recipe for cold soup for the summer. The dish is prepared on the basis of kvass. Modern chefs can use both ready-made kvasses and make them themselves from rye bread crumbs. Finely chopped vegetables, meat, and vegetables are added to okroshka. The name of the dish comes from the old word “krochevo”, which was the name for finely chopped food. You can serve especially chopped ingredients and a jug jar or pour the soup into portions. In addition, kefir or yogurt can serve as a liquid base for okroshka.
In Spain – gazpacho. The base of the soup is mashed tomatoes, to which herbs, finely chopped cucumbers, peppers, spices, and cubes of white breadcrumbs are added.
In Lithuania – shaltibarschay. The main ingredient in this dish is beetroot. It can be boiled, steamed, baked in the oven, or pickled. The liquid base is kefir, which can be diluted with beet kvass or broth.
All these dishes have different ingredients, at the same time the temperature of the cold soup, whatever the world cuisine belongs to, should not exceed 6-14 ° C. To increase the cooling, you can throw a few pieces of edible ice cream on a plate or serve it served in a special bowl. Cold soups should be stored in the refrigerator after preparation and before serving.
TOP 6 recipes for cold soups
The first dishes are a mandatory part of our menu, but in the summer heat, hot food is simply inappropriate. Simple recipes for cold soups will be a real salvation for you. Thanks to their liquid consistency, they will help revive the digestive system, the vegetables and the meat it contains will saturate you and you will have a refreshing effect thanks to the right dose dosage temperature. There is no difficulty in making cold soups, to be sure of this, try in fact the most popular recipes for this refreshing summer dish.
The most popular among cold soups is okroshka. We will give a classic recipe for breadcrumbs, but it can be cooked with kefir, yogurt, buttermilk, or whey. This recipe uses boiled beef, but you can also take cold cuts of boiled ham, lamb, tongue, and other meat products. From the specified amount of ingredients for kvass is obtained 1 liter of finished product and to prepare okroshka is enough to make 0.7 liters.
- Caloric content per 100 g – 79 kcal.
- Dosage – 2
- Cooking time – 1 hour
- Rye biscuits – 40 g (for kvass)
- Sugar – 30 g (for kvass)
- Yeast – 1.5 g (for kvass)
- Curly mint – 1.5 g (for kvass)
- Water – 1200 ml (for kvass)
- Beef – 220 g (for garnish and dressing)
- Green onion – 75 g (to decorate and dress)
- Fresh cucumbers – 150 g (for decoration and dressing)
- Sour cream – 40 g (for decorating and dressing)
- Eggs – 1 pcs. (to decorate and dress)
- Sugar – 10 g (for decoration and dressing)
- Mustard – 4 g (for decoration and dressing)
Step-by-step cooking meat okroshka:
First, create kvass with which okroshka will be poured. This recipe can be used to make rye sauce for other dishes and cold soups. Cut the rye bread into small cubes and dry in the oven until crisp. Boil water, cool to 80 ° C, add biscuits, and blow for 1, 5-2 hours. Stir the water regularly. Drain and sift the resulting herb.
Pour sugar, and yeast, previously diluted with the same herb into the finished herb at room temperature, and set the mixture on heat for 8-12 hours. To make the taste of kvass more interesting, add mint to it during fermentation. Raisins, ginger, anise, or cumin are a great addition.
Sift the finished kvass, refrigerate and refrigerate, where it will be stored until used.
Wash the green onion, chop finely, and mash some of the onions with salt to let the juice flow.
Wash the cucumbers, remove the thick skin, remove large seeds, and cut the puree into small cubes or strips.
Boil the egg hard, peel it, dry the egg yolk through a sieve, and cut the protein into cubes.
Boil the meat until it is tender, cool, and cut into small cubes or strips.
To make a delicious cold soup, add a little dressing. To do this, mix the grated egg yolk with mustard, salt, add sugar, and 10 g of sour cream. Mix everything together and add green onions, grated with salt, to the dressing. Add the dressing to the kvass, mix everything well, and put the prepared liquid bottom back in the fridge.
To serve okroshka in portions, spread the meat, egg whites, cucumbers, and onions evenly over the plates. Pour each serving of spicy kvass, add a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkle with finely chopped herbs.
If a lot of okroshka is in preparation, all the chopped ingredients are poured into a large pot, poured with kvass, and stored in the refrigerator in this form. To make this simple cold soup more enjoyable, you can add boiled potatoes and then into cubes. You can also substitute fresh cucumbers for pickles or radishes.
Lithuanian cold soup
In Lithuania, this dish is called Saltibarsciai. This is a beetroot cold soup. You do not have to have any special cooking skills to do that. The color, taste, and aroma of the dish mainly depend on the variety and method of heat treatment of the beets. It can be boiled, steamed, or pickled, or you can use a mixture of boiled and pickled vegetables. This cold soup is made from kefir, which together with red kvass gives it a pale pink color.
- Beets – 3 pcs. (1 piece for beet kvass and 2 pieces for soup)
- Fresh cucumber – 2 pcs.
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Kefir – 500 ml
- Dill – 1 bunch
- Green onion – 1 bunch
- Beetroot – to taste
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
Step-by-step preparation of the Lithuanian cold soup:
- First, make beet kvass. To do this, peel the beets, cut them into slices, and place them in a saucepan. Pour raw vegetables with hot boiled water, pour in a little vinegar, and boil on low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and the beets in broth, without removing them from the container, put in the heat for 2-3 hours to acidify. Strain the finished beet kvass and store it in the refrigerator.
- Boil the beets until soft, cool, peel, grate, or cut into small strips. If desired, add 1 grated pickled beetroot to the cooked vegetables.
- Wash the vegetables and herbs, and chop the onion and dill. Cut the cucumbers into thin strips.
- Mix all vegetables and herbs in a deep bowl, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable mixture with kefir, stir, and add 1-2 tbsp. sour cream.
- Give the Lithuanian cold soup the desired consistency by gradually adding beet kvass to it. If desired, it can be replaced with water acidified with lemon juice or beef broth. Put the finished dish in the refrigerator.
Serve this delicious cold summer soup with baked and buttered potatoes or hard-boiled eggs in halves.
From the name, it is clear that beetroot is a cold soup but the main ingredient is beetroot. It can be cooked with kvass, kefir, cucumber, or cabbage salt. We will consider a recipe for a light but rich cold beetroot soup, where boiled water, acidified with citric juice or citric acid, acts as a liquid base. It takes over an hour to cook and from a certain amount of ingredients you get 8 servings of a refreshing summer meal.
- Beetroot – 450 g
- Sour cream – 150 g
- Boiled eggs (protein) – 4 pcs.
- Fresh cucumbers – 4 pcs.
- Leaf salad – 40 g
- Green onions – 45 g
- Parsley green – 20 g
- Dill vegetables – 20 g
- Salt – 0.5 tsp
- Sugar – 0.5-1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2-4 teaspoons (can be replaced by citric acid – 0.5-1 teaspoon)
Step-by-step cooking beetroot:
- Wash the beets, put them in a deep saucepan, and cover them with water to the brim. Add citric acid or lemon juice to the water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes on low heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Cut the egg whites into small cubes.
- Wash and cut the cucumbers in the same way as the egg white.
- Wash the onion and dill, and chop finely.
- Wash the parsley and cut it into pieces of any size.
- Wash the lettuce leaves, place them on a towel so that the water is made of glass, and cut them into random pieces.
- Put the finished beets in cold water. Sift the beetroot broth through cheesecloth that is folded into several layers. If it turns out to be less than 1.5 liters, bring broth to the required amount with boiled water. Cool the broth.
- Cut the chilled beets into small cubes.
- Mix all vegetables and herbs in a deep pot, salt the ingredients, and add sugar. Mix everything well.
- Pour sour cream into the vegetable mass, and mix everything again.
- To make a cold beetroot soup, pour the Beet broth into the vegetable mixture and mix again thoroughly.
- Pour the finished beetroot into portions and add a tablespoon of sour cream to each. It is very tasty to eat this soup with a bite of fresh bread and hot potatoes, cooked “in the uniform”.
This is a traditional cold Spanish soup made with ripe tomatoes. Previously, it was considered the food of the poor, because even its name comes from the Arabic and Greek words meaning “gift box”. In the past, churches not only collected coins but also pieces of bread in such boxes. These same pieces of bread are essential for a delicious and refreshing gazpacho. It only takes 15 minutes to prepare the classic Spanish cold tomato soup. From a certain amount of ingredients, you get 5 full doses.
- Ripe tomatoes – 4 pcs.
- Olive oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Apple juice or sherry vinegar – 60 ml
- Tomato juice – 2 tbsp
- Cut an old or lightly dried baguette – 1 tbsp
- Cucumber – 2 pcs.
- Red pepper – 1 pc.
- Red onion – 1 pc.
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Parsley – 1/2 bunch
- Cilantro – 1/2 bunch
- Sliced and chopped jalapeno peppers – 1 tbsp (can be replaced with Tabasco sauce to taste)
- Salt to taste
How to prepare gazpacho step by step:
- Boil water in a medium saucepan and add a little salt.
- Wash the tomatoes, and cut crosswise into each fruit in the upper and lower part.
- Put the tomatoes in boiling water for 20-30 seconds so the skins can start to peel. Remove the fruit from the boiling water and put it in ice water immediately. Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop the puree finely.
- Pour tomato juice into a deep container, add olive oil and vinegar. Mix everything well. Add the baguette cubes. They should absorb the tomato mass well.
- Wash cucumbers and peppers. Remove seeds and stems from the pepper. Finely chop the vegetables.
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop finely.
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly and remove the thick stems.
- Put tomato paste, chopped cucumbers, red peppers, onions, garlic, herbs, and jalapenos in a deep bowl. Salt all ingredients to taste and mix well.
- Pour the vegetable mass with a mixture of tomato juice and baguette and grind everything gently with a blender until smooth.
- Serve prepared cold gazpacho tomato soup in separate bowls. Garnish each serving with avocado slices, sliced cucumbers, or peppers.
Cold acid soup
The basis of this refreshing first course is not kvass or kefir, but pickles. It is an acid that gives it a mild acidity and a pleasant aftertaste. It only takes half an hour to make a cold acid soup.
- Water – 1.5 l
- Green onions – 40 g
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Fresh acid – 250 g
- Potatoes – 2 pcs.
- Cucumbers – 3 pcs.
- Fresh dill – 10 g
- Chicken eggs – 3 pcs.
Step-by-step preparation of cold sour soup:
- Peel the potatoes, wash and cut them into cubes.
- Pour water into a saucepan, pour in the potatoes, and cook until tender.
- Wash acid, remove cuttings tightly, and chop finely.
- Put sauerkraut in the finished potatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes, then turn off the heat. Wait for the cold sourdough soup mixture to cool.
- Wash cucumbers and herbs, and chop finely.
- Hard-boiled eggs, cooled, peeled, and finely chopped.
- Toss chopped eggs, cucumbers, and herbs in the chilled potato-sorrel blank. Add salt to taste.
- Be sure to store ready-made cold sour soup for the summer in the fridge, and serve it with sour cream and a few slices of fresh homemade bread.
This is a cold Bulgarian cucumber soup that is usually based on natural yogurt. The court saves not only Bulgarians from the summer heat, but also residents of other countries in the Balkans. Many people see it as okroshka, but in contrast, tarator has much fewer ingredients and a softer and more refined taste. For this soup, it is better to take a drinking yogurt but it can be replaced by kefir, yogurt, or acidophilus. If the yogurt is thick, you can dilute it with low-fat sour cream in a 10: 1 ratio or pour in a little cooled boiled water. If a tarator is being prepared on a hot day, the liquid base can be stored in the refrigerator beforehand. If it is a hot summer, put the yogurt in the freezer before cooking. If desired, coriander can be substituted in the recipe for parsley.
- Natural yogurt – 350-400 g
- Cucumbers – 160 g
- Walnuts – 20 g
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Dill – 2 branches
- Cilantro – 2 branches
- Salt to taste
Step-by-Step Preparation Tarator:
- Wash the vegetables, chop finely and place in a deep bowl.
- Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice. Add it to a fine grater, and add it to the herbs.
- Wash the cucumbers and chop them together with the skin on a coarse grater.
- Add cucumbers to herbs and garlic, and salt, and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the juice to drain.
- Peel a squash, grate it and chop finely with a knife.
- Divide the cucumber mass by the number of servings, each of which is placed in a deep soup bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on top with chopped walnuts. Pour yogurt or other fermented dairy product ready for cold soup with cucumber into each plate.
If the dish is not cold enough, store it in the fridge to refill. Before serving, garnish each serving of tarator with herbs and sprinkle a handful of chopped walnuts on top. And to make the tarator even colder, you can add a few ice cubes to each serving. Could soup turn out to be not only vitamin and nutritious, but also a tonic, refreshing and low in calories, which will surely appeal to fans of proper nutrition?