- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut lengthwise and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked Great Northern or pea beans
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh cabbage
- Pour vegetable oil into large pot and heat up. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 10 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and parsley and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. (Add more water, ½ cup at a time, if needed.) Add beans and simmer for ½ hour. Add cabbage and simmer another 15 minutes, or until cabbage is done. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree about 1/3 of the finished soup in a blender, one cup at a time, and add to the pot of soup. This will thicken it and make the soup heartier
Cindy Paré, BFBLHR Volunteer