Brazil nut: Can too many Brazil nut be harmful?
Brazil nut; is popular and energetically? Composition and calorie content of Brazil nuts. The product’s benefits for the body, possible harm, and a list of contraindications. How to choose a high-quality product, and how to store it? Bertolethia fruit in cooking.
The Brazil nut is the fruit of the South American Bertholletia plant (from the Latin “Bertholletia”), which belongs to the Lecithis family. Other names are cream, American, or South American walnut. Most plants grow wild in South America, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, and Bolivia. From a botanical point of view, fruits are not considered nuts but grains. They ripen in boxes that look like coconuts. The taste of corn is sometimes compared to pine nuts. They are high in calories and contain a lot of nutrients, so they are eaten in their pure form or added to various dishes. Despite their nutritional value, the fruits have several contraindications for use. Read on about Brazil nuts’ composition and favorable properties, how to choose the right product, and how to use it in cooking.
Composition and calorie content of Brazil nut
Brazil nuts are a precious daily supplement because it has a thorough list of nutrients in their composition. Its high nutritional value is also provided by its high-fat content, so the product is considered one of the most nutritious and able to satisfy hunger quickly and provide strength.
The calorie content of Brazil nuts is 659 kcal per 100 g of product, of which:
- Protein – 14, 32 g;
- Fat – 67, 1 g;
- Carbohydrates – 4, 24 g;
- Dietary fiber – 7, 5 g;
- Water – 3.42 g;
- Ash – 3, 43 g.
- Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin B1 – 0.617 mg;
- Vitamin B2 – 0.035 mg;
- Vitamin B4 – 28.8 mg;
- Vitamin B5 – 0.184 mg;
- Vitamin B6 – 0.11 mg;
- Vitamin B9 – 22 micrograms;
- Vitamin C – 0.7 mg;
- Vitamin E – 5, 65 mg;
- Vitamin PP – 0.295 mg;
- Betaine – 0.4 mg.
- Macronutrients in 100 g:
- Potassium – 659 mg;
- Calcium – 160 mg;
- Magnesium – 376 mg;
- Sodium – 3 mg;
- Phosphorus – 725 mg
- Micronutrients per 100 g:
- Iron – 2.43 mg;
- Manganese – 1, 223 mg;
- Copper – 1743 micrograms;
- Selenium – 1917 micrograms;
- Zinc – 4.06 mg.
Digestible carbohydrates per 100 g:
- Starch and dextrin – 0.25 g;
- Sucrose – 2, 33 g.
- Essential amino acids per 100 g:
- Arginine – 2, 14 g;
- Valine – 0.76 g;
- Histidine – 0.409 g;
- isoleucine – 0.518 g;
- Leucine – 1.19 g;
- Lysine – 0.49 g;
- Methionine – 1, 124 g;
- Threonine – 0, 365 g;
- Tryptophan – 0.15 g;
- Phenylalanine – 0.639 g.
Exchangeable amino acids per 100 g:
- Alanine – 0, 609 g;
- Aspartic acid – 1.325 g;
Glycine – 0.733 g;
- Glutamic acid – 3.19 g;
- Proline – 0.706 g;
- Serine – 0.676 g;
- Tyrosine – 0.416 g;
- Cysteine- 0, 306 g.
Sterol per 100 g:
- Campolesterol – 2 mg;
- Stigmasterol – 6 mg;
- Beta sitosterol 64 mg
Saturated fatty acids per 100 g:
- Myristic – 0, 046 g;
- Palmitic – 9, 626 g;
- Buttermilk – 0.041 g;
- Steric – 6, 244 g;
- Arachidic – 0.167 g;
- Biogenic – 0.01 g.
Monounsaturated fatty acids per 100 g:
- Palmitoleic – 0.214 g;
- Heptadecene – 0.045 g;
- Omega -9, oleic acid – 23,594 g;
- Omega-9, gadoleic – 0, 027 g.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids per 100 g:
- Omega-6 – 23,859 g;
- Linoleum – 0, 036 g;
- Omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid-0.018 g;
- Omega-6, gamma-linolenic-0.018 g.
The expanded composition of Brazil nut shows that this product can easily add large amounts of vitamins B1 and E, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, manganese, zinc, and fatty acids (omega-9 and omega-6). These grains are a record holder among all products regarding selenium content. 100 g contains a record amount of this trace element, several tens of times higher than the daily intake.
In addition to valuable substances, the fruits contain dangerous substances, although in minimal quantities. It contains radium, which has radioactive properties. And aflatoxins were found in the peel.
Valuable properties of Brazil nut
A proper diet should include a variety of foods to ensure a balanced intake of nutrients. So the use of nuts is also essential. And if a few decades ago walnuts were the cheapest, at the moment you can buy Cedrus, macadamia, cashew, forest, walnut, and Brazilian. The latter is very useful for both men and women. In a general sense, the healing properties of Brazil nuts are to lower blood sugar, reduce the risk of developing certain diseases of the visual organs and cancer, purify the blood, prevent diseases of the cardiovascular system and accelerate tissue regeneration.
The benefits of Brazil nut for men
Many doctors recommend that members of the more vigorous sex include fruits in their diet precisely because of their high selenium content. This trace element has a beneficial effect on men’s health. Combined with the other valuable substances that make up the product, it works even better.
First of all, the South American nut has a positive effect on the male reproductive system. The product improves blood circulation and normalizes testosterone production, improving erection, libido, and sensitivity.
Brazilian nut benefits for men also lie in the therapeutic and prophylactic effects on the prostate – the risk of developing prostatitis and cancer is reduced. Due to the normal functioning of this organ, sperm motility increases, which significantly increases the chances of fertilization.
Thanks to normal testosterone levels, the man’s mood improves. Immune systems for external stimuli are activated in the body. Therefore tension is reduced, and tantrums are eliminated.
It should be noted that there are benefits for the musculoskeletal system. As a result of eating Brazil nuts, the hormones are normalized. Balancing hormones allows you to increase endurance, strengthen muscles and make joints more mobile. The product helps build muscle mass, makes the body more prominent, and reduces fat deposits during active exercise.
The benefits of Brazil nut for women
The complex of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, which is part of the South American grain, allows you to speed up most metabolic processes, which in turn has a positive effect on the figure. Therefore, the Brazil nut for weight loss is one of the best sources of nutrients, despite its high calorie and high-fat content. Of course, you should not abuse this product; weight loss will be effective.
Brazil nuts are also valuable for women in terms of their hormonal effects. After using these grains, the production of many hormones is average. It is essential to delay the inevitable onset of menopause and alleviate the menopausal condition. In addition, the product can increase a woman’s fertility and fight against many causes of infertility.
Everyone needs to eat these nuts, but for the fair sex, this product is preferable because it contains antioxidants. It eliminates the effects of free radicals, slows down the aging process, and standardizes regeneration methods, significantly improving appearance.
Benefits of Brazil nut for pregnant women
Very often during pregnancy, and even more during breastfeeding, doctors recommend avoiding eating nuts because they can cause allergic reactions in both mother and child. However, it is still worth learning how beneficial the Brazil nut is when used carefully.
This product can provide significant benefits during pregnancy. Trace elements and amino acids prevent the appearance of various cell mutations in the unborn baby and allow all organs and systems to develop properly. Creamy nuts also cleanse the blood, lower bad cholesterol, and normalize oxygen and nutrients in the mother’s and baby’s bodies.
Having decided to include Bertolt grains in their diet for the first time, a pregnant or lactating woman should first try a small piece and consume an adverse reaction in limited quantities – no more than 1-2 pieces. A day.
The benefits of Brazil nut for children
It is not advisable to include nuts, including Brazil nuts, in children’s diet until they are 3 years old because there is a high risk of developing allergies and indigestion. And from age 3, you can gradually introduce the product, starting with small bites and closely monitoring the child’s well-being.
Brazil nuts’ consumption rate for children is 1-2 pcs. Per day with systematic use. If the dose is for one time, you should limit yourself to 5 grains.
Berthollet grains have a tonic effect. They quickly replenish the supply of most nutrients and act as immune stimulants. Improved immunity reduces the incidence of colds and other infectious diseases and facilitates the adaptation process of preschools and schools.
It is also essential that omega fatty acids are present in the composition, which are necessary for everyday life – the proper functioning of the heart, blood vessels, nervous system, and brain.
The benefits of Brazil nuts for children also include positive effects on the skin. In adolescence, inflammations of the skin often appear, and acne is behind hormonal balance. The product has an anti-inflammatory effect and allows you to neutralize the infection quickly. It also stimulates the healing process, removes traces of unpleasant skin diseases, improves appearance, and relieves the child of complications caused by cosmetic defects.
Contraindications and harm for Brazil nut
Every product, even the most delicious and healthy, can be a medicine and a poison – it all depends on the amount consumed. So by consuming Bertoleta grains in moderation, you can get the most benefit without any side effects. But with all the positive features, the Brazil nut’s contraindications remain.
First, it is worth refusing to use this type of nuts for allergy sufferers and those who have individual intolerance to the product.
It is undesirable to eat these grains and obese people due to the high-calorie content of the product.
You should also be careful when taking selenium-containing medications and supplements. When used together, this trace element will be in excess, which will have several negative consequences.
Interestingly, due to its high selenium content, it is sufficient to consume only 3-4 grains per day. Excessive consumption manifests the damage of the Brazil nut with indigestion with severe intoxication in the body, the development of toxic hepatitis in the liver, hair loss, delineation of the nail plate, and a significant deterioration of the condition of the skin.
How to choose a Brazil nut?
Omega-6, in large quantities in the product, gradually causes damage, reduces the taste, and makes it bitter, so you should not buy the product for future use.
Not everyone knows what a Brazil nut looks like because it is usually sold without the shell. The fruits of the South American Bertolethiae have a rounded shape, their diameter is from 8 to 15 cm, but the weight sometimes reaches 2 kg. There is a small hole on one side. Under a hard shell, like orange slices, there are 12-24 grains covered by a shot. They are firmly attached to the walls, so there should be no sound when shaking an unopened nut. The outer shell must not be damaged in any way. It is worth noting that it cannot store whole nuts for long because edible kernels gradually collect dangerous toxins from the shell.
Flattened cores contain almost no hazardous substances and are stored for much longer. When buying such a product, you should pay attention to its appearance. The length of the grains is 3-5 cm. The image of the Brazil nut shows that the color is different and contains a milky, yellowish, brownish color, but they should be saturated. Dull color speaks for quality deterioration.
Buying by weight has its pros and cons. In this case, you can taste the fruit and judge how it looks. But at the same time, it is pretty challenging to understand their shelf life. The taste of the Brazil nut is a little like a pine nut. Still, many people also do not notice this similarity and claim that this product is not like any other. When fresh, it leaves an earthy aftertaste. The kernels must be a little soft but crunchy.
When choosing a product in packaging, it is better to include transparent ones to evaluate it visually. There should be no condensation inside because, in this case, doubts about quality arise.
Now we will tell you how to store Brazil nuts. The grains can absorb different smells well, so you need to put them in a closed container. In large quantities, it is better to take a glass jar. If there are few kernels, you can limit yourself to plastic bags.
South American walnut kernels can be refrigerated and even frozen. Such conditions make it possible to preserve all nutrients well. The maximum shelf life is 2 years.
Brazil nut Recipe
Bertolette fruits taste excellent, both raw and processed. The kernels are sometimes fried to dry a little and make them sharper, but many nutrients are lost. And since Brazil nuts are often eaten to provide the body with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, and more, it is advisable not to give it heat treatment. Generally, this product is used in preparing cakes, chocolates, various desserts, snacks, salads, soups, sauces, and other dishes. We suggest you check out the most popular recipes as the list of ingredients includes South American Bertolette grains.
Desserts with Brazil nut
Brazil nuts make a great addition to almost any dessert. They increase the calorie content, improve the taste and increase the aroma.
Recipes from caramel nuts:
- Chocolate dessert with briolette beans and cream… Ingredients: dark chocolate (500 g), ground cinnamon (2 tsp), ground cloves (1 tsp), nutmeg (to taste), powdered sugar (1 tbsp), nuts (500 d), cream (380 ml). First, we choose the shape for the dessert. You can take metal, plastic, or silicon. It is better to select a square shape in form. Grease it with oil or cover it with foil. We heat the water bath and melt the chocolate. Add cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and powdered sugar when the mass is creamy. Heat the cream separately and send it to the chocolate. Mix and let cool slightly. We spread the products on the prepared form and alternate the nut layer and the chocolate-creamy mass. When the ingredients are all, level the top layer and put it in the refrigerator for a few hours to completely freeze the dessert. After that, we take it out of the mold,
- Oatmeal with Brazil nuts and jam… Main ingredients: flour (120 g), oatmeal (80 g), berry jam (400 g), brown sugar (60 g), butter (60 g), salt (1/2 tsp), baking powder (1/2 tsp)). Ingredients for the nut mass: Brazil nuts (70 g), pecans (70 g), almond leaves (70 g), butter (100 g), brown sugar (60 g), milk (2 tablespoons), vanilla drops (1/ 2 teaspoon). Heat the oven. To 200 degrees. Mix the oatmeal with flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder, and add softened butter. Use your fingers to grind all the mass into crumbs. We cover a small baking container with high walls with paper, spread the oatmeal on the bottom, and try to compress it as tightly as possible. Pour the jam on top and smooth. Grind the nut mixture separately in a blender, and combine with sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. We arrive at homogeneity. Place the resulting nut filling on top of the jam and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- A cake filled with fruit and nuts ingredients: eggs (2 pcs.), Sugar (50 g), vanilla, cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon), cloves (3 stars), baking powder, lemon peel (1 tablespoon), salt (2 g), flour (70) g), dates, 100 g, dried figs (200 g), Brazil nuts (150 g), walnuts (100 g), almonds (70 g), confectionery (70 g), glazed red cherries (50 g), apricot jam ( 100 g), icing sugar (1 tbsp), butter (1 tsp), breadcrumbs (2 tbsp). Blanche the almonds, excellent, and remove the skin. Roughly chop the walnuts. Grind the figs into small pieces. We get rid of the dates by cutting them in half. Set aside some whole nuts, fruit candies, and cherries for decoration. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Next, prepare the dough. Mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla drops – beat until transparent. Cinnamon, baking powder, cloves crushed in a mortar, salt, lemon peel, and flour mixed and sent into the egg mass. Add dates, figs, nuts, and candied fruit to this. It is better to take a circular shape for this cake. Grease it with oil and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs carefully. We spread the dough with the filling. At first glance, the dough seems small, but when baked, it increases in size and fills all the voids. Cover the top with foil, make a few holes and bake for 75 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave the cake in the oven for another 10 minutes. We take it out, let it cool for 10 minutes and remove it from the mold. Heat the apricot jam and then massage through a very fine sieve. Mix one-third with the remaining nuts and cherries for decoration and gently grease the entire surface of the cake with the rest of the mass. Place the filling on top of the product, sprinkle the powder lightly, and leave for 12-24 hours in a cool place. Serve with whipped cream.
Brazil Peanut Salad
Many chefs believe that the taste of Bertoleta beans is the most original and superior to all others, which is why they choose this particular product. The kernels of this South American tree are often added to vitamin salads to improve the taste and make the dish more nutritious. It enriches the Brazil nut recipes for vegetarian cuisine. It is often used in the Friday menu to prepare various dishes.
Salad recipes with nuts:
- Green bean salad with Brazilian nuts … Ingredients: green beans (400 g), lettuce (200 g), pear (2 pcs), nuts (50 g), lemon (1/2 pcs.), Olive oil (2 tablespoons), peanut oil ( 2 tablespoons), sesame (2 tsp), black pepper (3 g), salt (3 g). Boil the beans in salted soda at medium heat for 10 minutes, drain the water and pour the ice cubes into a pot. It will preserve the beautiful vibrant green color. After 5-10 minutes, remove the liquid and the remaining ice. Pour olive oil over the beans. Slice or dice the pears and sprinkle with lemon juice. Fry the grains and then grind them a bit in a mortar. Dry the sesame seeds in a pan. Mix beans, chopped lettuce, and pear sprinkle with salt and pepper, and season with peanut butter. Stir and place on a plate; sprinkle with sesame seeds and Brazil nuts on top.
- Strawberry salad with avocado and Brazil nuts… Ingredients: avocado (1 pc.), Strawberries (300 g), nuts (50 g), salad (4 pcs.), Honey (1 tbsp. L.), lemon juice (1 tbsp.) L ), olive oil (30 ml), sugar (1/2 tbsp. l.). Mix sugar, Honey, liquid, and butter until smooth. We washed the lettuce leaves, dried them, and put them in a salad bowl on the bottom. Cut the avocado into two halves in a circle, peel to separate the fruit, remove the bone and cut it into cubes. Cut the strawberries into 2-4 pieces and place them in a salad bowl with the avocado. Grind the berry hollers into powder in a mortar and pour them over the salad. Pour everything with the dressing and serve.
- Arugula salad with Brazilian nuts and raspberries … Ingredients: arugula (100 g), nuts (7 pcs), fresh raspberries (80 g), brown sugar (1 tsp), shallots (2 pcs), olive oil (80 ml), balsamic vinegar (80 ml), balsamic sauce (1 tsp), lemon juice (2 tsp), salt and pepper. Cut the nuts into small pieces and lightly dry them in a small pan. Then caramelize in sugar. After that, we put them on paper and cool them completely. Finely chop the onion and fry with olive oil until the product becomes transparent. Now, pour in balsamic vinegar, juice, and 30 ml water. When the dressing has cooled, season it with salt and pepper. We wash the arugula, dry it and sort it. Put on a plate, and pour with the dressing. Then add raspberries and nuts and serve, garnished with balsamic sauce.
Interesting facts about Brazil nut
Bertoletiya sometimes reaches a height of 50 meters. At the same time, the yield is sometimes more than 200 kg. However, such a large amount is built into trees that grow in the wild. The cultivation of Brazilian nuts on plantations is not economically viable because the tree yields much lower yields in places where human activity is high. It is due to the lack of hops and other insects that pollinate the flowers. But the Brazil nut grows both in natural habitats and in cultivated conditions.
There are almost no young trees in places where the extreme walnut harvest takes place. It is due to a good harvest and is the reason why the species does not improve well. On the other hand, this poses a threat of a shortage of this product in the future.
Brazil nut is one of the healthiest foods in the world. It explains its growing popularity. If you keep it in your diet, you can significantly improve your health.