- 2 whole heads of garlic, unpeeled
- Olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (scant) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 18-ounce package hearts of romaine (about 3), coarsely torn
- 1 1-pint container grape tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 small English hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 8-ounce package thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced paper-thin
Method: For dressing:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Slice top 1/2 inch from each head of garlic. Place each, cut side up, on large square of foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil.
Enclose each in foil. Roast packets directly on oven rack until garlic is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Carefully open foil; cool.
Squeeze garlic into medium bowl; mash. Whisk in remaining ingredients. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
Combine vegetables in large bowl. Add dressing; toss. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Jane Cullipher, Cullipher Farms